The MHAI Junior Board is a network of young professionals dedicated to mental health advocacy. The Junior Board is comprised of professionals in an array of fields, including clinicians, social work, psychology, business, law, and communications.
The Junior Board works closely with the MHAI Board of Directors, as well as mental health advocates and organizations in Chicago and throughout Illinois. The primary duties of the Junior Board include fundraising and promoting MHAI and mental health awareness to communities throughout Chicago and Illinois. To carry out this goal, the Junior Board hosts a variety of fundraisers throughout the year.
Junior Board Members
- Samantha Simmons, Junior Board President
- Renee Shurilla, Junior Board Secretary
- Liz Gunnar
- Alexandra Hegel
- Zach Holtman
- Kevin Patti
The Junior Board is actively recruiting new members. Interested candidates may attend a meeting (with an approved RSVP) or speak to a Junior Board representative for more information. Meetings are typically held monthly via in-person meetings or teleconference. Junior Board members should commit three to five hours per week for MHAI duties. Some additional work and time commitments may be necessary during times of fundraisers and event planning. To RSVP to a meeting, to apply for a position or for more information, please contact Samantha Simmons.
Current Junior Board Openings
- The Super-Bowl-a-Thon, a pre-Super Bowl bowling event at Timber Lanes in Chicago that features a fun night of bowling, pizza, music and raffles.
- Stand Up for Mental Health, a stand-up comedy show at The Laugh Factory that features Chicago’s best comics.
- Jammin’ Away the Blues, a blues show at Buddy Guy’s Legends that features live blues acts from renowned performers, a raffle and more.
- Various networking events (trivia nights, social meetups, etc.)
Event planners of all expertise, or individuals who wish to learn the ins-and-outs of event planning, fundraising, and nonprofits are welcome to apply.