The MHAI Junior Board is a network of young professionals dedicated to mental health advocacy. The Junior Board is comprised of professionals in an array of fields, including clinicians, social work, psychology, business, law and communications.
The Junior Board works closely with the MHAI board, as well as mental health advocates and organizations in Chicago and throughout Illinois. The Junior Board welcomes any interested applicants of all educational and professional backgrounds.
Junior Board Members
- Samantha Simmons, Junior Board President
- Renee Shurilla, Junior Board Secretary
- Gwen Cooke
- Gianna Gaza
- Liz Gunnar
- Zach Holtman
- Chelsea Parker
- Kevin Patti
- Aryn Sothbarr
The Junior Board is actively recruiting new members! Interested candidates may attend a meeting (with an approved RSVP) or speak to a Junior Board representative for more information. Meetings are typically held bi-monthly on chosen Mondays from 6PM-7:30PM. Junior Board members should commit up to five hours per week for MHAI duties. During promotional periods for events, some additional work and time commitments may be necessary. To RSVP to a meeting, to apply for a position or for more information, please contact Samantha Simmons.
Current Junior Board Openings
- The Super-Bowl-a-Thon, a pre-Super Bowl bowling event at Timber Lanes in Chicago that features a fun night of bowling, pizza, music and raffles.
- Stand Up for Mental Health, a stand-up comedy show at The Laugh Factory that features Chicago’s best comics.
- Jammin’ Away the Blues, a blues show at Buddy Guy’s Legends that features live blues acts from renowned performers, a raffle and more.
- Various networking events (trivia nights, social meetups, etc.)
Event planners of all expertise, or individuals who wish to learn the ins-and-outs of event planning, fundraising, and nonprofits are welcome to apply.